Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI
What does everyone think of the new Leopard desktop?

I like the new dock. The menu bar would be cool if the drop down menus were transparent also.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
don't like the grass and the see thourgh menu bar..and i like my dock on the left side...

other, than that...

DinnyHoon

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool, UK
The drop-down menus are transparent, even in Tiger.

I quite like the new Dock (although it wouldn't suit my favourite haxie, ClearDock). I'm still unsure about the Menu Bar, it reminds me too much of Vista.

Also, no new Aqua wallpaper?

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I like the new desktop very much, my first impression of the menu bar was negative but if you think about it, you can see though the desktop like glass, its not like sand blasted glass you find in Vista.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Looks like the grass is the new default wallpaper, the "Desktop" icon in the Finders sidebar is green too...

greendesktop.jpg

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI
Hey N10248, I checked out your album on Flickr. Nice setup! Where did u find the computer desk and chair? I've been wanting something like that for a while now.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I liked the new dock. I thought it was pretty cool, and the new stacked icons on the dock looks pretty useful.

I like the wallpaper, ironically. It's a change of pace.

The menubar on the other hand... not horrible, and I can get used to it, but it's not my favorite update.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I'd like the option of having a clear dock... Never really cared for anything else. As per stacking I think this could have easily been done by a 3rd part app in tiger.

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI
The Dock

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but if you go to apple's website and watch the demos of leopard, none of the running programs have black triangles underneath them. Instead they have a small white dot.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but if you go to apple's website and watch the demos of leopard, none of the running programs have black triangles underneath them. Instead they have a small white dot.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Its blue :)

One thing I hate, is that the Safari spellcheck red underline is always one character to the left!

nylock10

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
I hope a new version of UNO will be released for Leopard to bring back Aqua, I took a shot of Vista to compare - looks a lot like Leopard (not totally, but you get the idea) doesn't it?

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 306

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
The grass seems a bit half arsed. I've seen lots of grass desktops.

The dock looks cool but what I don't like is that in Tiger I like my apps to sit right on top of the dock, and they do perfectely.

In Leopard that can't really happen as the icons are on top of the dock.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I like that the desktop icon is green... a color sort of rare in the default Tiger environment, which seemed too blue. now it's more balanced, I think

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I like how the desktop looks now, but I might not when it comes out. I wish Leopard had integrated themes, for each different change of OSX. I really do hate 'themes' and anything like them, but I'm just not too sure with this change.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I dont mind the desktop being green, but did they have to use GRASS? It just screams Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.